How to add an email account to Thunderbird
- open Thunderbird
- click Tools.. Account Settings
- from the Account Actions dropdown (at bottom), select Add mail account...
- enter the account details as prompted
- click Continue
- wait for Thunderbird to attempt auto-configuration
- click the "Edit" button (this is a small button, located to the right of the username)
- enter the account username (example: username-yourdomain-com)
- correct the incoming/outgoing server addresses if needed (example: hostingaccountname.dns-systems.net - where hostingaccountname is the username given at the top of your welcome letter)
- select the desired account type - IMAP or POP
- correct the incoming server port if needed:
- POP accounts: this should be 995, except if you're not using SSL/TLS, in which case it should be 110.
- IMAP accounts: this should be 993, except if you're not using SSL/TLS, in which case it should be 143.
- correct the outgoing server port if needed (this should be 465, except if you're not using SSL/TLS, in which case it should be 587)
- click the Re-test configuration button
- wait for Thunderbird to test the settings
- click the "Create Account" or "Done" button (this will be greyed out if the entered settings are invalid)
- if a security alert is displayed at this point, this is normal - add an exception for this server to prevent this message from reappearing